The organisation of the IATS consists of a President and an Advisory Board of thirteen members, one of whom holds the position of General Secretary. All members serve for a period of two conferences, but for the sake of preserving institutional memory, the presidency changes in the years when the board does not undergo re-election.
The current President, elected at the Fifteenth Seminar in Paris in 2019, is Hanna Havnevik (University of Oslo, Norway). The General Secretary is Francoise Robin (Inalco, France).
The other members of the Advisory Board are:
- Daniel Berounský (Czech Republic) – Charles University, CZ
- Dorji Wangchuk (Bhutan) – University of Hamburg, DE
- Françoise Pommaret (France) – CNRS, FR
- Françoise Robin (France) – Inalco/IFRAE, FR
- Geshe Nyima Choekhortsang (Nepal) – Charles University, CZ
- Hildegard Diemberger (Austria) – University of Cambridge, UK
- Jarmila Ptáčková (Czech Republic) – Czech Academy of Sciences, CZ
- Karma Phuntso (Bhutan) – The Loden Foundation, Bhutan
- Iwao Kazushi (Japan) – Kyoto University, JP
- Lama Jabb (United Kingdom) – University of Oxford, UK
- Pema Choedon (Norway) – University of Tartu, Estonia
- Ulrike Roesler (United Kingdom) – University of Oxford, UK
- Yudru Tsomu (China) – Sichuan University, CN
As past presidents, Samten Karmay (emeritus, CNRS, France), Janet Gyatso (Harvard University, USA), Charles Ramble (École Pratique des Hautes Études, France), and Tsering Shakya (University of British Columbia, Canada) also attend board meetings.