The organisation of the IATS consists of a President and an Advisory Board of thirteen members, one of whom holds the position of General Secretary. All members serve for a period of two conferences, but for the sake of preserving institutional memory, the presidency changes in the years when the board does not undergo re-election.
Currently, Francoise Robin (Inalco, France) is the Acting President and Ulrike Roesler (University of Oxford, UK) is the Acting Secretary General. Both will be serving until the IATS conference in 2026, when elections will be held.
The other members of the Advisory Board are:
- Daniel Berounský (Czech Republic) – Charles University, CZ
- Dorji Wangchuk (Bhutan) – University of Hamburg, DE
- Françoise Pommaret (France) – CNRS, FR
- Françoise Robin (France) – Inalco/IFRAE, FR
- Geshe Nyima Choekhortsang (Nepal) – Charles University, CZ
- Hildegard Diemberger (Austria) – University of Cambridge, UK
- Jarmila Ptáčková (Czech Republic) – Czech Academy of Sciences, CZ
- Karma Phuntso (Bhutan) – The Loden Foundation, Bhutan
- Iwao Kazushi (Japan) – Kyoto University, JP
- Lama Jabb (United Kingdom) – University of Oxford, UK
- Pema Choedon (Norway) – University of Tartu, Estonia
- Ulrike Roesler (United Kingdom) – University of Oxford, UK
- Yudru Tsomu (China) – Sichuan University, CN
As past presidents, Samten Karmay (emeritus, CNRS, France), Janet Gyatso (Harvard University, USA), Charles Ramble (École Pratique des Hautes Études, France), Tsering Shakya (University of British Columbia, Canada), and Hanna Havnevik (University of Oslo, Norway) also attend board meetings.